Tenant's Insurance - What you need to know

Tenant's Insurance - What you need to know

February 01, 2019

Are you aware that your landlord is not responsible for your personal belongings in the event of a fire? Their homeowner coverage is only responsible for the dwelling and affords no coverage for your belongings as a tenant.

After the Fall River apartment complex fire that occurred on New Year's Day, about 45 displaced tenants were assisted by the Red Cross. 

A woman was killed when the car she was driving crashed into the Four Winds Apartment complex at North Main Street. 

Fire officials said the fire started after the car crashed into the utilities room and ruptured a natural gas line.

How do you protect yourself you ask? The answer is simple: an inexpensive tenant policy.

This policy would afford you the following coverages:

* Personal Property (Contents such as furniture, clothes, electronics etc.) 

* Loss of Use (pays for temporary shelter)

* Liability Coverage

Bundling this coverage with your automobile coverage at times pays for itself. My meaning is the credit your receive on the auto policy is equivalent to the cost of the tenant policy. Sounds like a win - win.

If you are a tenant and do not currently have a tenant policy please contact John Andrade Insurance at 401-253-6542 and we will be happy to provide you with a no obligation quote.

We want you to be protected at all times and having a tenant's insurance policy can give you peace of mind knowing that you will be covered in the event of a loss like the Fall River apartment fire that happened on New Year's Day.