Do you have auto insurance in Rhode Island? Residents who don’t will wish they did if they happen to find themselves in a car wreck uninsured. Car accidents can be very draining, financially, emotionally, and physically. You can help minimize the stress you experience by staying calm and remembering the advice below:
- Do not move if you are in pain. Wait for emergency services to arrive.
- Call 911 if you are able. Do not worry if you cannot; chances are that other drivers, someone who saw the accident, or a passerby will notify the authorities.
- You should check on the other vehicle occupants if you are uninjured. They may be in need of immediate assistance.
- When both parties are not hurt, names, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance information should be exchanged while waiting for the police to arrive.
- Take photos of the damage on both vehicles as well as the debris on the road.
- After talking to the police, contact your insurance agent to start the claim process.
Letting your emotions get the best of you after a crash can make a difficult situation even worse. Stay calm and handle the issues at hand. Do not make the mistake of driving away from an accident without obtaining the other party’s, even if there is little apparent damage. There could be internal trouble you are not aware of and failing to file a claim promptly after the damage occurred, or having insufficient details of the event could keep you from being properly compensated by your auto insurance in Rhode Island.